1. Get used to this ugly box. You'll be "Preparing" a lot.
2. G-Man orders you to "Rise and shine."
3. No exciting opening sequence here. Chat with these two then exit the train after it pulls into the station.
4. Take a look around the station and listen to Dr. Breen on the big screen (voice acted by Robert Culp). The atmosphere is very well established here.
5. When you're ready to move on, proceed through the turnstyle. Civil Protection (CPs) like the one seen here will beat you with their prod if you approach.
6. Again, talk to the folks for some atmosphere then enter the serpentine here. Continue through the open gate ahead.
7. The gate closes behind you and you are ordered to follow this patrol. Not much choice but to comply. You should be wanting a gun badly by now. These guys are oppressive.
8. Again, not much choice but to comply. Looks less-than-inviting, however.
9. The patrol removes his helmet -- it's Barney from Black Mesa! And he's had quite a makeover!
10. Dr. Kleiner appears on the viewscreen. The original voice actor is unmistakable. Very cool.
11. A knock at the door causes Barney to rush you into this next room. He instructs you to stack up some stuff to exit out the window. This opening sequence replaces a tutorial and you are instructed on how to pick up objects. Climb this ladder.
12. Place a crate in front of this window as seen here. Climb onto the crate then out through the window. Another crate on the ground below will break your fall.
13. Continue through this door to load the next zone.
14. Up some stairs and through another door you'll come to this taunting CP. He knocks the soda can onto the floor and orders you to put it in the trash. Comply, and he'll let you through. Alternately, throw it at him and he'll leave his post to chase you, allowing you to run through the open gate.
15. Listen to the big sellout on the big screen calmly dictate the need to suppress "instinct." These screeds are very well done. Continue through the open gate on the left.
16. The door ahead leads to the plaza.
17. Trump Tower? Combine Citadel? You decide.
18. Your only way out is under that walkway ahead.
19. Your first Strider can be seen on the left. Climb the ladder on the right, then drop down on the other side of the fence.
20. Watch some beatings, talk to the locals, then keep right and proceed through the open door behind the slide on the left. Take a few steps to load the next zone.
21. Head upstairs to find the building's tenants being interrogated by the CP. Look out the window to spy more CPs on the way.
22. You can rip the TV from the wall and spare your fellow humans from Breen's ramblings.
23. Ascend the stairs at the end of the hallway. Nice use of a bathtub on the barricade. You are called into this side doorway.
24. The rebels advise you to run to the roof as CPs rush in behind you. They will kill you if you don't get moving.
25. Follow the rooms to get to the other side of the barricade, then climb more stairs to have this helpful soul guide you to another side room. He'll block the door to permit you time to reach the attic (after another zone load).
26. The lighting in here is very cool. The hole in the wall leads to the roof.
27. CPs are once again on your tail. Move fast or they'll kill you. Ramp up that board ahead.
28. Step across those slats to the ledge on the right.
29. Follow the ledge to this open window. Climb in.
30. Follow these stairs to an unavoidable ambush.
31. The CPs who ambushed you are in turn ambushed by this woman, Alyx, who revives you and leads you to the next level.